LRL Home - Legislation - State Budget
Texas State Budget
Budget process for the 2018-2019 biennium*
- The 85th Regular Legislative Session begins on January 10, 2017.
- The Texas Comptroller presents the Biennial Revenue Estimate (BRE) to the Legislature, providing a formal estimate of the funds likely to be available from taxes and other revenue sources over the next two years. View the 2018-19 BRE
The Senate and the House present preliminary funding recommendations and file the General Appropriations bills. View recommendations: House | Senate
- The Governor submits budget recommendations to the Legislature. View the Governor's budget.
LBB: Legislative Budget Board;
GOBPP: Governor's Office of Budget, Planning & Policy;
LAR: Legislative Appropriations Request.
*Dates of events are approximate.
(View budget timeline for the 2012-13 biennium | 2014-15 biennium | 2016-17 biennium)
Budget documents and information
- General Appropriations Act for the 2016-17 Biennium
- 84th Regular Session, 2015.
- Governor's proposed budget 2016-2017
- Governor Greg Abbott's proposed base budget for the 2016-17 biennium.
- Biennial Revenue Estimate 2018-2019 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Detailed biennial revenue estimate as required of the Comptroller by Article III, Section 49a of the Texas Constitution.
- Agency Legislative Appropriations Requests (Legislative Budget Board)
- Legislative Appropriations Requests for the 2016-2017 biennium.
- Texas Annual Cash Report, Fiscal 2016 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Revenue and expenditures of state funds for the year ended August 31, 2016.
- Government Effectiveness and Efficiency Report (Legislative Budget Board)
- Submitted to the 84th Texas Legislature. The LBB's recommendations to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Texas state government.
- Texas Budget Source (Legislative Budget Board)
- The Legislative Budget Board developed the Texas Budget Source (TBS), a report generator, to provide the general public information on the Texas state budget. TBS extracts its data from the LBB's Automated Budget and Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST). Users may generate budget reports for a specific state agency. They may also generate reports organized by the articles of the General Appropriations Bill.
- The Legislative Budget Board website
- Documents from the current budgeting session are being continually added to this site. Other documents produced by the LBB, including Fiscal Size-Up and Texas Fact Book, are also available.
Past appropriations bills
- General appropriations acts (40th, 1st C.S. - 83rd R.S.)
- Scanned versions of general appropriations acts and major biennial appropriations bills from 1927 - 2013.
Total appropriations by session, 1963 - 2011 (58th R.S. - 82nd R.S.)
- Chart showing the total amount appropriated by each general appropriations act from the 58th through 83rd Legislatures.
H.P.N. Gammel's The Laws of Texas (1822-1897)
- Contains the General and Special Laws of Texas for the 1st through 37th Legislatures, including appropriations bills.
Historical tax expenditures and revenue
- Texas Net Expenditures by Function
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present for each function and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Expenditures by Object
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present by object and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Revenue by Source
- Shows yearly net revenue from 1978 to the present by revenue source.
Information about the budget process
- Budget 101: A guide to the budget process in Texas (Senate Research Center, January 2017)
- Detailed primer on the budget-writing process in Texas. Includes descriptions of the legislative budgeting process, as well as the activities of other state offices and agencies, and provides a useful glossary of terms.
- Budget, Financial and Economic Reports and Forecasts (Texas Comptroller)
- Includes links for budget and expenditure search tools, as well as budget, financial and economic reports produced by the Texas Comptroller.
- Writing the state budget: 84th Legislature (House Research Organization)
- Overview of the budget-writing process currently underway in the 84th Legislature.
Includes a discussion of constitutional limits on state spending
Older budget documents
Older appropriations bills that are not available online may be found in print in the General and Special Laws of Texas at the Legislative Reference Library and several other Texas depository libraries.
State agency budgets, legislative appropriations requests, agency strategic plans, and other primary documents related to the budget process are also available in print at the Legislative Reference Library.
Please call the Library at 512-463-1252 for additional information.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regards to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.