LRL Home - Legislation - State Budget
Texas State Budget
Budget process for the 2014-2015 biennium*
- The Texas Comptroller publishes the Texas Annual Cash Report, detailing revenues and expenditures from the previous fiscal year.
- The Texas Comptroller presents certification revenue estimates, detailing the data used to certify the General Appropriations Act for 2014-15 and other appropriations bills approved by the 83rd Legislature.
- LBB publishes Fiscal Size-Up 2014-2015, describing how funds were appropriated for the 2014-2015 biennium.
LBB: Legislative Budget Board;
GOBPP: Governor's Office of Budget, Planning & Policy;
LAR: Legislative Appropriations Request.
*Dates of events are approximate.
Sources: Budget 101: A guide to the budget process in Texas. [Austin, Tex.]: Senate Research Center, January 2011.
Building the state budget, block by block [Austin, Tex.]: Texas Comptroller. Originally published in Statewise, Feb/March 2005.
Writing the state budget: 82nd Legislature. [Austin, Tex.]: House Research Organization, February 3, 2011.
(View budget timeline for the 2012-2013 biennium)
Budget documents and information
- General Appropriations Act for the 2014-15 Biennium
- 83rd Regular Session, 2013.
- Governor's proposed budget 2014-2015
- Governor Rick Perry's proposed base budget for the 2012-13 biennium.
- Biennial revenue estimate 2014-2015 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Detailed biennial revenue estimate as required of the Comptroller by Article III, Section 49a of the Texas Constitution.
- Agency Legislative Appropriations Requests (Legislative Budget Board)
- Legislative Appropriations Requests for the 2014-2015 biennium.
- Texas Annual Cash Report for the year ended August 31, 2012 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Revenue and expenditure details for all funds in the Texas Treasury.
- Government Effectiveness and Efficiency Report (January 2013) (Legislative Budget Board)
- The LBB's recommendations to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Texas state government.
- Texas Budget Source (Legislative Budget Board)
- The Legislative Budget Board developed the Texas Budget Source (TBS), a report generator, to provide the general public information on the Texas state budget. TBS extracts its data from the LBB's Automated Budget and Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST). Users may generate budget reports for a specific state agency. They may also generate reports organized by the articles of the General Appropriations Bill.
- The Legislative Budget Board website
- Documents from the current budgeting session are being continually added to this site. Other documents produced by the LBB, including Fiscal Size-Up and Texas Fact Book, are also available.
Past appropriations bills
- General appropriations acts (40th, 1st C.S. - 83rd R.S.)
- Scanned versions of general appropriations acts and major biennial appropriations bills from 1927 - 2013.
Total appropriations by session, 1963 - 2011 (58th R.S. - 82nd R.S.)
- Chart showing the total amount appropriated by each general appropriations act from the 58th through 82nd Legislatures.
H.P.N. Gammel's The Laws of Texas (1822-1897)
- Contains the General and Special Laws of Texas for the 1st through 37th Legislatures, including appropriations bills.
Historical tax expenditures and revenue
- Texas Net Expenditures by Function
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present for each function and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Expenditures by Object
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present by object and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Revenue by Source
- Shows yearly net revenue from 1978 to the present by revenue source.
Information about the budget process
- Budget 101: A guide to the budget process in Texas (Senate Research Center, January 2013)
- Detailed primer on the budget-writing process in Texas. Includes descriptions of the legislative budgeting process, as well as the activities of other state offices and agencies, and provides a useful glossary of terms.
- The Texas Budget Process: A Primer (Texas Comptroller)
- Overview of the budget-writing process in Texas. Includes links for budget and expenditure search tools, as well as budget, financial and economic reports produced by the Texas Comptroller.
- Writing the state budget: 83rd Legislature (House Research Organization)
- Overview of the budget-writing process currently underway in the 83rd Legislature.
Includes a discussion of constitutional limits on state spending
Older budget documents
Older appropriations bills that are not available online may be found in print in the General and Special Laws of Texas at the Legislative Reference Library and several other Texas depository libraries.
State agency budgets, legislative appropriations requests, agency strategic plans, and other primary documents related to the budget process are also available in print at the Legislative Reference Library.
Please call the Library at 512-463-1252 for additional information.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regards to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.