House Committee on Human Services - 81st R.S. (2009)
- Monitor the implementation of the Department of Justice settlement agreement, SB 643 81st R.S., and other reforms to services for persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Monitor the implementation of provisions in SB 2080 81st R.S., relating to the creation of a permanency assistance program. Evaluate and make recommendations about the foster care licensing process for relatives, the payment structure for a relative who becomes a child's permanent managing conservator, and any factors that should be considered in evaluating program performance and sustainability in the future.
- Determine the feasibility of instituting a comprehensive, single point of entry system to simplify and expedite the process of accessing long-term care services for the elderly and individuals with physical disabilities.
- Monitor the Health and Human Services Commission's progress toward improving the timeliness of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program eligibility determinations. Evaluate the impact of corrective measures already taken by the commission.
Analyze the practice of using informal or voluntary caregivers ("parental child safety placements") during a Child Protective Services investigation. Study and make recommendations regarding:
a) efforts to track data related to parental child safety placements;
b) incorporation of the power of attorney process authorized by SB 1598 81st R.S.;
c) appropriateness of voluntary placement;
d) review of caregiver qualifications; and
e) potential improvements to the voluntary placement process.
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.