House Committee on Border and Intergovernmental Affairs - 82nd R.S. (2011)
- Identify significant health disparities in counties along the Texas-Mexico border and their impact on the region's health care system. Consider strategies to reduce demand for health-related services, including better use of preventive medicine and promotoras, or community health workers.
- Examine state and federal law to determine whether existing provisions adequately address security and efficiency concerns for steamship agencies and land ports of entry along the Texas-Mexico border. Evaluate whether the state and the federal government have provided sufficient manpower, infrastructure, and technology to personnel in the border region. (Joint with the House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety)
- Examine the extent of interstate coordination concerning border security and intelligence sharing and determine whether any changes to state law are needed to enhance such coordination and cooperation. (Joint with the House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety)
- Examine the impact of the state's various economic development programs and evaluate their impact on communities along the Texas-Mexico border. Identify any changes to these programs that would improve economic development activity in those communities.
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction and the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 82nd Legislature.
- Study and make recommendations for significantly improving the state's manufacturing capability.
- Find ways to increase transparency, accountability and efficiency in state government.
Veronica Gonzales, Chair, 2/9/2011 - 6/30/2012. Bobby Guerra appointed Member, 9/25/2012.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.