House Committee on Defense and Veterans' Affairs - 82nd R.S. (2011)
- Study the current role of all Texas state military forces. Identify changes that would enhance the accountability and effectiveness of the state guard, air guard, and national guard and all other components of our state military forces.
- Monitor the implementation and impact of the MOVE Act on the state and on municipalities. Make legislative recommendations, as needed, to ensure a smooth implementation of the law. (Joint with the House Committee on Elections)
- Study and make recommendations on how the state and local governments can work together to protect our federal military installations from unnecessary encroachment while still allowing appropriate use of land near bases to be used for nonmilitary purposes.
- Determine any challenges to the training and operations of Texas' 15 military installations in light of recent reductions in federal defense spending. Additionally, review the current structure and mission of the Texas Military Preparedness Commission as a result of HB 2546 (81R). Recommend any legislative actions needed to sustain and improve the state's military preparedness.
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction and the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 82nd Legislature.
- Study and make recommendations for significantly improving the state's manufacturing capability.
- Find ways to increase transparency, accountability and efficiency in state government.
- Examine issues not listed in the committee's interim charges, including suicide prevention and the process for active duty, former active duty and their spouses, and military personnel trasitioning into the workforce and seeking occupational licenses.*
* This represents an abstract of the report contents. Charge text is incomplete or unavailable.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.