House Committee on Elections - 83rd R.S. (2013)
- Examine the use of Help America Vote Act funds and methods to ensure the efforts required by the Help America Vote Act continue.
- Study the Interstate Voter Crosscheck Program. Specifically, study the results of the program used in other states, how other states use the data, and make recommendations about whether the state of Texas should establish this program.
- Evaluate the Move Act, specifically the implementation of HB 1129 83rd R.S., relating to a program allowing certain military voters on active duty overseas to cast a ballot electronically.
- Examine online voter registration systems in other states. Study costs and security concerns, weigh the pros and cons of online voter registration, and make recommendations.
- Review the study by the Secretary of State required by HB 3103 83rd R.S. regarding moving the date of the Texas presidential primary election, and make appropriate recommendations.
Conduct legislative oversight and monitoring of the agencies and programs under the committee’s jurisdiction and the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 83rd Legislature. In conducting this oversight, the committee should:
a. consider any reforms to state agencies to make them more responsive to Texas taxpayers and citizens;
b. identify issues regarding the agency or its governance that may be appropriate to investigate, improve, remedy, or eliminate;
c. determine whether an agency is operating in a transparent and efficient manner; and
d. identify opportunities to streamline programs and services while maintaining the mission of the agency and its programs.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.