House Committee on Security and Sanctions - 67th R.S. (1981)
- Monitor the implementation of the statewide juvenile probation system as authorized by HB 1704, 67th R.S..
- Monitor the Adult Probation Commission in regard to the effectiveness of pre-sentence investigations to divert people from the Texas Department of Corrections.
- Monitor the organizational changes in the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the creation of new halfway houses as authorized by SB 125, 67th R.S..
- Investigate overcrowding in the Texas Department of Corrections and examine alternatives for relieving this condition.
- Examine the feasibility of paying a wage to inmates for the work they perform at the Texas Department of Corrections.
- Study the feasibility of placing city jails under the authority of the Texas Jail Standards Commission and/or abolishing the Commission.
- Evaluate present rules, regulations, and statutes regarding the parole process.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 67th Regular Session of the Legislature. In addition, a study should be made of the impact of any federal cuts, and the differences in the operational aspect of the agencies under block vs. categorical grants. Close scrutiny should be given to each agency to ascertain if legislative intent is being carried out in the rules promulgated by the agency and if the rules are feasible and practical in their application. These agencies include:
Texas Youth Council
Texas Department of Corrections
Board of Pardons and Paroles
Texas Adult Probation Commission
Texas Department of Public Safety (less Traffic Law Enforcement)
Texas Commission on Jail Standard
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.