House Committee on County Affairs - 76th R.S. (1999)
- Review the cost of statutory county duties, including federal mandates, and the ability of county tax bases and fees to support such duties.
- Examine areas in which the state might beneficially devolve authority and programs to county governments. Assess the interest and ability of county governments to accept more authority.
- Examine ways that county governments, educational institutions, service organizations and local state agency offices may coordinate their efforts to address the problems of at-risk youth at the local level. Report on successful programs that might serve as models for others.
- Examine the extent to which city and county governments have voluntarily consolidated and streamlined operations through interlocal agreements. Determine the impediments to greater use of such agreements, and assess whether voluntary consolidation of operations should be a first-step before any further consolidation is permitted.
- Conduct active oversight of the agencies under the committee's jurisdiction.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.