Oil Spills and Water Pollution Abatement - 71st R.S. (1989)
- Bob Armstrong
- Make recommendations regarding means of effective state-government response to oil spills affecting or threatening the Texas costal region, including proposals, if any, for coordination with federal or local governments, the oil industry, or other elements of the private sector.
- Monitor the implementation of SB 1525, 71st Legislature, Regular Session, enabling delegation to the State of Texas of NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) authority.
- Monitor the implementation of HB 1567, 71st Legislature, Regular Session, authorizing local governments to establish stormwater drainage utilities funded by user fees on impervious cover.
- Study associated issues relating to wastewater discharges and nonpoint source pollution affecting sewer and drainage systems.
- Monitor any developments at the federal level regarding legal redefinition on the state.
- Examine various water quality standards affecting the above charges and the public and private infrastructure necessitated by such standards.
- Examine associated regulatory responsibilities and requirements lodged with or affecting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Texas Water Commission, the Water Development Board, local governments, including special districts, and the private sector.
- Evaluate potential state legislation requiring that promulgation of water quality standards by the Texas Water Commission be preceded by an assessment and quantification of the public costs and benefits to be derived as a consequence.
Senate members and former Senator A.R. Schwartz Everett appointed 10/03/1989. (Letters from William P. Hobby, Lieutenant Governor of Texas, October 3, 1989. See Lieutenant Governor Hobby Appointments 70th-71st, L1803.1 P926la 1987-90 3.)
Paul Hilbert appointed 10/12/1989. Other House members and former Representative Bob Armstrong appointed 10/02/1989. (Letters from Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, October 2, 1989 and October 12, 1989. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 3.)
Created by a proclamation issued by the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House under authority vested in HCR 142. See House and Senate Committees 71st 72nd Leg., L1800.1 p926.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.