House Committee on Human Services - 78th R.S. (2003)
- Study ways to increase the adoption of special-needs children through efficiency in the Adoption Assistance Program.
- Study the incident of abuse and neglect of individuals receiving services in community care settings. The committee will evaluate the effectiveness of procedures to prevent abuse and neglect, methods to streamline reporting and investigations and the adequacy of available enforcement mechanisms.
- Assess the effectiveness of new marriage promotion initiatives in the Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) program.
- Monitor congressional re-authorization of TANF and child care programs and the impact of federal policy changes on Texas' welfare reform efforts. Report any needed policy changes to accommodate new federal policy for the 79th Legislature.
- Monitor the implementation of SB 669 78th R.S., which mandates police presence with Child Protective Services workers during priority calls. The study should include, at minimum, the impact on victims, parent cooperation and local law enforcement availability.
- Monitor agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdictions.
On April 27, 2004, Speaker of the House Tom Craddick eliminated charge one from the committee's assignment.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.