House Committee on Corrections - 79th R.S. (2005)
- Study the organizational structure of the department to determine if the current system is effectively and efficiently addressing the needs of all components of the criminal justice system in conjunction with the Sunset review of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) in 2007.
- Examine the probation system and reforms debated during the 79th Legislature, including using strategies such as graduated sanctions and specialized courts for reducing revocations and recidivism. Study the organization and cost of our probation system and make recommendations about how to prioritize and strengthen general supervision.
- Evaluate the correctional health care systems in other states as they compare to the Texas health care system, with a focus on greater accountability and competition among providers.
- Assess the programming needs for special populations in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ).
- Review the operation and organization of the Windham School District.
- Study the adequacy of the state accountability system in measuring the effectiveness of Disciplinary Alternative Education Programs (DAEPs) based on academic performance, behavior modification and percentage of students referred to the juvenile justice system. (Joint interim charge with the House Committee on Public Education.)
- Study the effectiveness of prevention programs, such as after school programs, in reducing the actual indices of crime and the rate of young offenders entering the criminal justice system. (Joint interim charge with the House Committee on Juvenile Justice and Family Issues.)
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the committee's oversight and monitor the Governor's Judicial Advisory Council.
England appointed pursuant to Rule 4, Section 5 (Letter, Tom Craddick, 3/17/2006.)
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.