Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs and Military Installations - 80th R.S. (2007)
- Examine any existing state veteran hiring and procurement preferences and procedures and make recommendations for improving and enhancing these programs to increase efficiencies and maximize funding.
- Study veteran reintegration issues, including the occurrence of post traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, substance abuse problems, and domestic violence and other family issues. Make suggestions regarding what the state could do to supplement and enhance related services for veterans and their families, focusing on state military forces veterans and reservists. Include an assessment of the implementation of SB 1058, 80th Texas Legislature, Regular Session, relating to reintegration counseling services.
- Study state services and benefits for injured service members and their families who are recovering from their injuries and rehabilitating in Texas. Make recommendations on how to better serve them.
- Study the relationships between military installations and the surrounding communities and make recommendations addressing encroachment and quality of life.
- Examine ways that "The Fund for Veterans Assistance" established by HB 3107 80th R.S. could be maximized to the benefit of Texas veterans.
- Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Veteran Affairs & Military Installations Committee, 80th R.S., and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Focus on the implementation of the Texas Veterans Commission (HB 3426 80th R.S.) and Texas Veterans Land Board (HB 3140 80th R.S.) Sunset reviews.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.