House Committee on Ways and Means - 68th R.S. (1983)
- Stan Schlueter, Chair
- Roy English, Vice Chair
- Bruce Gibson, Vice Chair
- Roy English, Chair - Budget & Oversight
- Jim Turner, Chair - Budget & Oversight
- Hugo Berlanga
- Bill Ceverha
- Jim Crockett
- John J. Gavin
- Joe C. Hanna
- Gerald Hill
- Lee Jackson
- Rollin Khoury
- Edmund Kuempel
- Wayne Peveto
- Gwyn Clarkston Shea
- Mark Stiles
- Gary Thompson
- To monitor all activities and have budget oversight responsibilities for those agencies, boards and commissions as listed in Rule 3, Section 33.
- To review the new federal tax laws as they relate to taxes in the state.
- To make a comparative analysis of taxes in Texas and other states.
- To examine and compile all exemptions under the general sales tax.
- To study the Texas Housing Authority's on-going loan programs and financial benefits to home owners to determine if changes need to be made.
- To study the feasibility of imposing a corporate franchise tax or some other equitable tax on banking corporations doing business in Texas.
- To assist the Select Committee on Public Education and the House-Senate Joint Committee on State Fiscal Policy.
The press release regarding House committees issued by Speaker Gib Lewis on April 4, 1984 lists Bruce Gibson as Vice Chair, Roy English as Chair for Budget and Oversight, and lists John Gavin as a member of the Committee. (Press Release, Speaker of the House Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, April 5, 1984. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 2.)
Jim Turner (Chair - Budget and Oversight) resigned 3/17/1984.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.