Joe W. Caldwell
Full Name: Joseph W. "Joe" Caldwell, Jr.
Date of birth: February 18, 1901
Date of death: December 8, 1982
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 8, 1935 - Jan 12, 1937
Asherton / Dimmit
Dimmit, Medina, Uvalde, Zavala
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituaries, Joseph W. Caldwell, Jr., 12/10/1982, p. 21C; and spouse Mary G. Caldwell, 1/28/1981, p. 10D. Courtesy Corpus Christi Public Libraries, La Retama Central Library, Local History Department. Born in Huntsville, Alabama, two sons Joseph W. Caldwell III of Lubbock and Robert L. Caldwell of Dallas.
Corpus Christi Caller-Times.
- Biographical sketch and photo, "Zapata County Attorney Is Man of Experience," 5/16/1961, p. 4. Joe Caldwell, Jr., age 60, born Huntsville, Alabama; came to Dimmit County 1927, then after 15 years moved to Rockport, and Zapata County in October, 1960. Caldwell "served a two-year term in the legislature from the four-county district which included Dimmit, in 1934-35. He is proud of the fact that as a member of the legislature he sponsored and served as chairman of the first legislative committee ever to investigate Communist activities, as far as he knows . . . The county attorney's main hobby is reading. He has a good general library, as well as a law library."
"Caldwell Resigns in Zapata," 12/1/1961, p. 1. "He and Mrs. Caldwell will move from Zapata back to their former home at Rockport . . ."
Military Service Notes
- U.S. Infantry, World War I. Captain, Armed Forces, World War II, spent four years in the Pacific. "Zapata County Attorney Is Man of Experience," 5/16/1961, p. 4.
- Joseph W. Caldwell, Jr., birth date 2/18/1901 in Huntsville, Alabama; marriage to Elizabeth Jackson 3/6/1925 in Montgomery, Alabama; residence in Port Lavaca, Calhoun County, Texas in 1942; death date 12/8/1982 in Dallas, Texas, burial in Rockport Cemetery; retired attorney; father Joseph W. Caldwell, Sr., mother Macie Lanier. Name listed as "Joe W. [initial only] Caldwell, Jr." on 1942 draft card. Texas, U.S., Death Certificates, 1903-1982; U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947; Alabama, U.S., County Marriage Records, 1805-1967.
- Census of 1930 - Joe W. Caldwell, Asherton, Dimmit County, age 29, born circa 1901 in Alabama, lawyer, spouse Elizabeth J., son Joe.
Census of 1940 - Joe W. Caldwell, Jr., Rockport, Aransas County, age 39, born circa 1901 in Alabama, attorney at law, spouse Elizabeth J., sons Joe W. and Robert L., last place of residence on 4/1/1935: Asherton, Dimmit County.
- Joseph W. Caldwell, Jr., death date 12/8/1982 in Dallas.
FamilySearch Texas Death Index, 1964-1998.
- Joseph W. Caldwell, Jr., birth date 2/18/1901, death date 12/_/1982, burial in Rockport Cemetery, Rockport, Aransas County, with spouse Mary G. Caldwell. Death date obscured on grave marker photo.
Find a Grave.
- Joe Caldwell, Rockport city attorney for 2 years, appointed Aransas County District Attorney by Governor Price Daniel, "Miller Succeeds Gayle as 36th District Judge,"
Aransas Pass Progress, 5/16/1957, p. 8.
- Obituary of father Rev. Joseph W. Caldwell, D.D., mentions son Joseph W. Caldwell, Jr. of Rockport, Texas. "Caldwell Funeral to Be at 5 Today," Huntsville Times (Huntsville, Alabama), 7/12/1946, p. 1.
- Mentioned in preview of 44th Legislature and discussion of legislative turnover, "Texas House Gets 80 New Members," 10/15/1934, p. 14.
San Antonio Express.
- 44th Legislature (1935) - Joe Caldwell, postoffice Asherton, Dimmit County, nativity Alabama, age 34, attorney.
Texas Legislative Manual.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.