Samuel Sheley Devall
Full Name: Samuel Sheley "Sam" Devall
Date of birth: November 14, 1896
Date of death: May 8, 1980
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1933 - Jan 8, 1935
Hallettsville / Lavaca
Name, postoffice, occupation, association membership, relationship to persons in state or county government. Resolution, 9/18/1933, pp. 45-48, and Questionnaire Authorized and Directed by Resolution Adopted by the House, 10/11/1933, pp. 588-601.
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Military Service Notes
- Samuel Sheley Devall, birth date 11/14/1896, home address Hallettsville, Texas.
FamilySearch United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918.
- Colonel, United States Army. Grave marker, Samuel Sheley Devall, birth date 11/14/1896, death date 5/8/1980, burial in Hallettsville City Cemetery, Hallettsville, Lavaca County, with spouse Mary Bagby Devall.
Find a Grave.
- United States Army, Colonel, World War II. Photo and biographical sketch, Colonel Sam S. Devall, "a reserve officer currently on active duty with Texas Military District. A native Texan, he was commissioned in 1918 after attending Officers Training Camp at Leon Springs, Texas. During World War II, he served as inspector general for the Army Air Force Training Command and as deputy to the Air Inspector of Flying Training." "Military Head Inspects Corps," The J-TAC (Stephenville, Texas), 5/16/1950, p. 1, crediting Tarleton State University.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- "Recently discharged from active military service, Col. Sam Devall has resumed his law practice in Hallettsville," "In Chambers We Learn," November 1947, pp. 469-470.
Texas Bar Journal.
- Census of 1930 - Sam Devall, Hallettsville, Lavaca County, age 32, born circa 1898 in Texas, lawyer/general practice, son-in-law of Will T. and Eugenia Bagby, spouse Mary Devall.
- Mentioned in preview of 44th Legislature and discussion of legislative turnover, "Texas House Gets 80 New Members," 10/15/1934, p. 14.
San Antonio Express.
- 43rd Legislature (1933) - Sam S. Devall, postoffice Hallettsville, Lavaca County, nativity Texas, age 35 (born circa 1898), lawyer.
Texas Legislative Manual.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.