Wallace M. Ellis
Full Name: Wallace M. Ellis
Date of birth: August 5, 1863
Date of death: September 9, 1923
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 12, 1915 - Jan 9, 1917
Rusk / Cherokee
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- Joint Report of the Central Investigating Committee, 35th Legislature, filed in the Senate and House 2/1/1918, recommended removal of W.M. Ellis as warden of Rusk penitentiary, p. 33.
- Death notice, "One Killed, Nine Hurt in Sunday Auto Accidents," 9/10/1923, pp. 1-2, notes W.M. Ellis of Austin, who moved to Austin from Rusk a year prior and was "formerly district clerk and publisher of a newspaper at Rusk, Cherokee county," was killed in an automobile accident. "Easton Held for Trial; Negligent Homicide Charge," 9/17/1923, pp. 1 and 3, describes court hearing relating to the accident.
- Census of 1900 - W.M. Ellis, Jacksonville, Cherokee County, age 38, born August 1864 in Texas, printer, boarder in home of J.E. Shook.
Census of 1910 - Wallace M. Ellis, Rusk, Cherokee County, age 46 (born circa 1864), editor/newspaper, spouse May, children Wallace and Lucy.
Census of 1920 - W.M. Ellis, Rusk, Cherokee County, age 58 (born circa 1862 in Texas), editor/newspaper, spouse May, children Wallace, Lucy, Emily, and Virginia.
- Wallace M. Ellis, birth date 8/5/1861, death date 9/9/1923 in Austin in automobile accident, newspaper prop./editor.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- W.M. Ellis, birth date 8/5/1863 on grave marker, death date 9/9/1923, burial in Oakwood Cemetery Annex, Austin; spouse May Carter Ellis, son Wallace Ellis.
Find a Grave.
- "W.M. Ellis, member of the legislature from Cherokee county, has been appointed warden of the Rusk penitentiary . . . Ellis will resign from the legislature at once." "New Rusk Warden," 11/24/1915, p. 3.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Publisher of Rusk, Texas, Press-Journal. Thomas E. Watson, Editor and Proprietor, Watson's Jeffersonian Magazine, Volume 1, January 1907, p. 147.
- Testimony of W.M. Ellis, former Rusk penitentiary shipping clerk and editor of the Rusk Press-Journal, on the penitentiary system and management. "The State's Railroad Immune to the Law," 11/7/1909, p. 9.
- W.M. Ellis, Rusk printer, Cherokee County District Clerk (November 1908 - April 1912), State Representative. Cherokee County Historical Commission, Cherokee County History, copyright 1986, second printing 2001, Jacksonville, Texas, crediting Cherokee County Historical Commission, pp. 44, 51, 98, and 115.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- 34th Legislature (1915) - W.M. Ellis, postoffice Rusk, nativity Texas, age 49 (born circa 1866), editor, 49 years in Texas, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
- Occupation and religious affiliation, 34th Legislature. "Occupations of Members of Legislative House," 3/14/1915, p. 4.
Galveston Daily News.
W.M. Ellis, 34th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.