Robert Hester Jones
Full Name: Robert Hester Jones
Date of birth: December 1, 1854
Date of death: February 17, 1922
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 9, 1917 - Jan 14, 1919
DeKalb / Bowie
Jan 12, 1915 - Jan 9, 1917
DeKalb / Bowie
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, "Judge R.H. Jones Dies," DeKalb, 2/22/1922, p. 4. "Former member of the state legislature from Bowie county."
- R.H. Jones, former Bowie County Judge. "Interesting Decision Handed Down by Court of Criminal Appeals," 11/11/1901, p. 2, on "whether a county judge is a peace officer and is thereby given the legal right to carry a pistol."
Austin Daily Statesman.
- Census of 1900 - R.H. Jones, Jr. [sic], Bowie County, age 46, born December 1854 in Georgia, lawyer, spouse E.J., children R.H., Jr., Estill, Lillian, and Oscar.
Census of 1910 - Robert H. Jones, Bowie County, age 55, born circa 1855 in Georgia, lawyer, spouse Eliza Jane, children Lillian and Oscar E. Jones, and Ester Price.
Census of 1920 - Robert H. Jones, Bowie County, age 61, born circa 1859 in Georgia, farmer, spouse Eliza J. and daughter Mary E.
Father Robert Hester Jones and mother Elizabeth Marchant mentioned in the record of son Oscar E. Jones, death date 5/2/1942, Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1965.
Kentucky Death Records
- Eliza J. Jones, widowed, death date 2/6/1946 in DeKalb, Bowie County, Texas. Father Rev. J.T. Merchant.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Robert Hester Jones, birth date 12/1/1854, death date 2/17/1922, burial in Woodmen Cemetery, DeKalb, Bowie County with Eliza Jane Jones.
Find a Grave.
- Jones v. State, 65 S.W. 92 (Court of Criminal Appeals of Texas, 11/6//1901).
- Listed as candidate for Representative: Judge R.H. Jones of DeKalb. "Nominees," "names of candidates to be voted on at the November election," Progressive Advertiser (DeKalb, Texas), 10/15/1914, p. 3.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Chief Justice or County Judge, R.H. Jones, 1896-1902. Bowie County Officials,
RootsWeb.com Internet genealogical service.
- 35th Legislature (1917) - R.H. Jones, postoffice DeKalb, nativity Georgia, age 59 (born circa 1858), 36 years in Texas, lawyer, member of former legislatures: 34th, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
- Occupation and religious affiliation, 34th Legislature. "Occupations of Members of Legislative House," 3/14/1915, p. 4.
Galveston Daily News.
R.H. Jones, 35th Legislature, State Preservation Board
R.H. Jones, 34th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.