William Edwards Douglass
Full Name: William Edwards Douglass, Sr.
Date of birth: January 4, 1875
Date of death: May 16, 1968
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1905 - Jan 8, 1907
Granbury / Hood
Erath, Hood, Somervell
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, "Will Douglas Services Sunday," 5/23/1968, p. 1. "As a young man Mr. Douglas came to Granbury from his native Tennessee. He studied law in the office of the late Judge Estes, passed his bar exams and opened an office here. Later he became associated with the Texas Pacific Railroad and for many years was General Claim Agent for the lines." Marriage to Venita Daniels.
Hood County News-Tablet (Granbury, Texas).
- Obituary, "W.E. Douglass Dies Here at Age of 93," 5/17/1968, section 7, page 5. William Edwards Douglass, Sr., "retired railroad man and onetime member of the Texas Legislature," born in Galitan [Gallatin], Tennessee, 1/4/1875.
- Census of 1880 - William E. Douglass, Sumner County, Tennessee, age 5, son of Cullen and Mary Douglass.
Census of 1910 - Wm. E. Douglass, Houston, Harris County, age 35, born circa 1875 in Tennessee, roomer, railroad claim agent.
William Edwards Douglass, marriage to Venata Jane Daniel 10/18/1917 in Hood County.
Census of 1920 - William E. Douglass, Harris County, age 45, born circa 1875 in Gallatin, Tennessee, lawyer/attorney-at-law, spouse Venata Jane.
Census of 1930 - William E. Douglass, Houston, Harris County, age 55, born circa 1875 in Tennessee, railroad claim agent, spouse Veneta J.
Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1965
- William Edwards Douglass, birth date 1/4/1875 in Gallatin, Tennessee; death date 5/16/1968 in Houston; railroad general claim agent; removal to Granbury City Cemetery.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- William Edwards Douglass (1875-1968), burial in Granbury Cemetery, Granbury, Hood County, with spouse Veneta J. Daniel Douglass. Mother Mary Estes Douglas' obituary in the Gallatin Sumner County News (Tennessee), 3/25/1905, states one of her children with Cullen E. Douglass was "Hon. Will Douglass, a member of the Texas Legislature."
Find a Grave. Mary Estes Douglass
William Edwards Douglass
- Judge W.E. Douglass, "who is now located in Alpine for the general practice of law." Native of Tennessee, previously practiced law in Granbury. "Locates in Alpine," Alpine Avalanche, 5/8/1913, p. 3, crediting the Archives of the Big Bend.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- 29th Legislature (1905) - W.E. Douglass, postoffice Granbury, nativity Tennessee, age 30 (born circa 1875), lawyer, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.