Charles A. Soward
Full Name: Charles A. Soward
Date of birth: 1835
Date of death: May 11, 1913
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1905 - Jan 8, 1907
Decatur / Wise
Cooke, Denton, Tarrant, Wise
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Biographical sketch, Judge Charles Soward, pp. 248, 389. Born 1836 in Kentucky, appointed district court judge of the 13th district by Gov. Davis in 1870, resigned 6/1/1873.
Historical Sketch of Parker County and Weatherford, Texas, 1877.
- Biographical sketch, "Judge Soward a Candidate," 4/8/1904, p. 4. Judge Charles Soward of Decatur announced as candidate for representative from the flotorial district composed of Wise, Cooke, Denton, and Tarrant counties. Moved to Texas from Missouri in 1867, served 1870-1874 as judge of the 13th judicial district.
Wise County Messenger.
- Charles Soward, born 1835 in Mason, Kentucky; died 1913 in Weatherford, Parker County, Texas. Age 28 on 7/1/1863, residence in Prairie, Randolph County, Missouri. Morken and Spradley Family Tree; U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865.
- Census of 1900 - Chas. Seward, Decatur, Wise County, born in April --- in Kentucky, lawyer, wife Mary E. Seward.
Census of 1910 - Chas. Soward, Decatur, Wise County, age 72, born circa 1838 in Kentucky, wife Mary E. Soward.
- Judge Chas. Soward, death date 5/11/1913 in Merkel, Taylor County, age 77.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Charles Soward (1835-1913), Attorney, Judge of 13th Judicial district, Weatherford, Parker, Texas, burial in City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, Parker County, with spouse Mary E. Soward.
Find a Grave.
- Obituary, "Judge Charles Soward Dead," The Daily Herald (Weatherford, Texas), 5/12/1913, p. 4.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- 29th Legislature (1905) - Chas. Soward, postoffice Decatur, nativity Kentucky, age 68 (born circa 1837), lawyer, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
- Obituary, "Judge Chas. Soward Dead," 5/16/1913, p. 1. Judge Charles A. Soward, death date 5/11/1913, age 76 years.
Wise County Messenger.
C. Soward, 29th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.