Joseph Newton Chandler
Full Name: Joseph Newton Chandler
Date of birth: September 7, 1828
Date of death: November 15, 1920
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1893 - Jan 8, 1895
Bluff Dale / Erath
BLUFF DALE, TX, in northeastern Erath County.
Handbook of Texas Online
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Photo and obituary, Rev. Joseph Newton Chandler, "Passing of a Grand Pioneer," 12/19/1920, p. 8. Born 9/7/1828 in Hart County, Georgia. Captain of Company A, Georgia Volunteers, Confederate Army. "He was always a public spirited citizen, and served this district in the legislature in 1892."
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, Captain, 24th Georgia Infantry, Company A, enlistment and muster date 8/24/1861, transfer from Company A to Company S, rank change to Lieutenant Colonel 1/8/1864, muster out 9/10/1864. Joseph Newton Chandler, born 1828, last known residence in Granbury, Texas, died 1921, burial in Granbury Cemetery, Hood County; photo. U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles; U.S., Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865.
- Joseph Newton Chandler, birth date 9/7/1828 in Hart County, Georgia; death date 11/15/1920 in Granbury, Hood County, Texas; minister.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Rev. Joseph Newton Chandler (1828-1920), burial in Granbury Cemetery, Granbury, Hood County. Includes biographical sketch, portrait.
Find a Grave.
- 23rd Legislature (1893) - J.N. Chandler, postoffice Bluffdale, nativity Georgia, age 63 (born circa 1830), farmer, 27 years in Texas, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
J.N. Chandler, 23rd Legislature, State Preservation Board
J.N. Chandler, 23rd Legislature, Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.