John Miles King
Full Name: John Miles King
Date of birth: October 1862
Date of death: November 3, 1947
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1893 - Jan 8, 1895
Ennis / Ellis
John M. King, 70th District, Ellis and Johnson counties. Roster of 23rd Legislature members elect, "The Next Legislature," The Galveston Daily News
, 12/4/1892, p. 14, crediting Abilene Library Consortium.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries)
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, Judge John M. King, "Former Resident to Be Buried Here Saturday," The Navasota Examiner and Grimes County Review (Navasota, Texas), 11/6/1947, p. 5, crediting Navasota Public Library. Practiced law in Navasota, Palestine with the I. & G.N. Railroad, and in Houston. Died 11/3/1947 at his ranch home in Landers, Wyoming.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- John Miles King, death date 11/3/1947 in Lander, Fremont County, Wyoming, age 85. Wyoming, Death Records, 1909-1969.
- Obituary, Mrs. John M. [Mamie McAdoo] King, "Texas Woman Dies in Paris, France, Will Be Buried in Navasota," 9/6/1923, p. 1. Wife of Judge John M. King; "the family formerly lived at Navasota, but recently moved to Houston, where Judge King was a prominent attorney for the I.-G.N. railroad. Before her marriage Mrs. King was Miss Mamie McAdoo of Washington county."
- John M. King, marriage to Lizzie A. McAdoo 10/21/1891 in Ellis County, Texas; marriage to Mary King 7/16/1894 in Navasota, Grimes County, Texas (passport application of Mrs. Mary King, 1923).
Census of 1900 - John King, Navasota, Grimes County, age 37, born October 1862 in Alabama, lawyer, wife Mamie, sons J.B. and Leon.
Census of 1910 - John M. King, Palestine, Anderson County, age 46, born circa 1864 in Alabama, lawyer, wife Mary, sons John B. and Leonedas.
Census of 1920 - John M. King, Houston, Harris County, age 59, born circa 1861 in Alabama, lawyer/railroad, wife Mary, son Leon.
Census of 1940 - John M. King, Milner, Routt County, Colorado, age 76, born circa 1864 in Alabama, attorney, widowed, son Leon M.
Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1965
United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925
- John Miles King, born in Alabama, residence in Houston; father of Leon McAdoo King, draft registration 6/5/1918 in Houston, Harris County, born 8/15/1896 in Waxahachie.
FamilySearch United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918.
- "Col. King Appointed Assistant Adj't Gen.," 1/8/1897, p. 3. Waxahachie - Hon. John M. King appointed assistant attorney general, 1/7/1897.
Fort Worth Record and Register.
- Obituary, "Mrs. King's Body Due Saturday from Paris," 9/14/1923, p. 4. Mrs. Mary McAdoo King, wife of John M. King, died in Paris, France, 8/31/1923; resided in Houston since 1911.
- 23rd Legislature (1893) - J.M. King, postoffice Ennis, nativity Alabama, age 30 (born circa 1863), lawyer, 10 years in Texas, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
J.M. King, 23rd Legislature, Texas State Library and Archives Commission
J.M. King, 23rd Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.