James Henry Calhoun
Full Name: James Henry Calhoun
Date of birth: January 17, 1849
Date of death: October 1, 1919
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 13, 1885 - Jan 8, 1889
Eastland / Eastland
Andrews, Borden, Brown, Callahan, Coleman, Comanche, Concho, Dawson, Eastland, Fisher, Gaines, Howard, Jones, McCulloch, Martin, Mitchell, Nolan, Runnels, San Saba, Scurry, Shackelford, Stephens, Taylor
Roster of senators and representatives of the 20th Legislature with their postoffice address, Austin Weekly Statesman
, "Governmental," 12/30/1886, p. 6.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries)
Democrat, p. 163.
Burke's Texas Almanac and Immigrants' Handbook for 1885
19th Legislature - Roll call of new members, oath of office administered, 1/13/1885, p. 1.
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- CALHOUN, JAMES HENRY (1849-1919).
Handbook of Texas Online.
- Biographical sketch, J.H. Calhoun, p. 76.
Personnel of the Texas State Government for 1885, 19th Legislature, 1885.
- Biographical sketch, James Henry Calhoun, pp. 68-69. Born 1/17/1849, from Troupe County, Georgia. Married Jennie Conner 1/1/1882 in Eastland, Texas.
Personnel of the Texas State Government with Sketches of Distinguished Texans, 20th Legislature, 1887.
- James Henry Calhoun, birth date 1/17/1849 in LaGrange, Troupe County, Georgia, death date 10/1/1919 in Cisco, Eastland County, Texas, lawyer.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Death notice, "Judge Calhoun Died Wednesday at Cisco Home," The Abilene Daily Reporter, 10/1/1919, p. 6, crediting Abilene Public Library. "Judge Calhoun was formerly judge of the Forty-second judicial district and was at one time state senator from this section."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Mentioned in "Through the Years - San Saba Representatives in Legislative History," 4/1/1948, p. 9.
San Saba News.
J.H. Calhoun, 20th Legislature, State Preservation Board
J.H. Calhoun, 19th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.