Horatio Lorenzo Tate
Full Name: Horatio Lorenzo Tate
Date of birth: September 4, 1841
Date of death: February 26, 1929
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 11, 1887 - Jan 8, 1889
Lindale / Smith
Jan 13, 1885 - Jan 11, 1887
Tyler / Smith
Roster of senators and representatives of the 20th Legislature with their postoffice address, Austin Weekly Statesman
, "Governmental," 12/30/1886, p. 6.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries)
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- Biographical sketch, Dr. Horatio L. Tate, Volume IV, p. 2135.
A History of Texas and Texans, 1914.
- Biographical sketch, H.L. Tate, pp. 53-54. Born 9/4/1841 in Elbert County, Georgia.
Personnel of the Texas State Government for 1885, 19th Legislature, 1885.
- Portrait and biographical sketch, Horatio Lorenzo Tate, pp. 184-186.
Personnel of the Texas State Government with Sketches of Distinguished Texans, 20th Legislature, 1887.
- Obituary and photo, "Dr. H.L. Tate, Grand Old Man of Lindale, Died Tuesday, Feb. 26," The Tyler Journal, 3/1/1929, p. 1; "Dr. H.L. Tate – A Character Sketch by Our Editor," 3/8/1929, p. 6, crediting Smith County Historical Society. Character sketch includes Tate's introduction and championing of legislation creating a reformatory for juvenile offenders, the Gatesville Reformatory, or State Training School for Juveniles, HB 21, 20th Legislature [sic, not HB 23].
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries). March 1, 1929
March 8, 1929
Military Service Notes
- Census of 1870 - Horatio Tate, Garden Valley, Smith County, age 28, born in Georgia circa 1842, physician.
- Dr. H.L. Tate, birth date 9/4/1841 in Georgia, death date 2/26/1929 in Lindale, Smith County, Texas, medical doctor.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Dr. H.L. Tate, birth date 9/4/1841, death date 2/26/1929, burial in Lindale City Cemetery, Lindale, Smith County.
Find a Grave.
H.L. Tate, 19th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.