John Preston Fowler
Full Name: John Preston Fowler, Sr.
Date of birth: March 11, 1849
Date of death: December 8, 1927
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 9, 1883 - Jan 11, 1887
Bastrop / Bastrop
Bastrop, Fayette, Lee
Independent, p. 163.
Burke's Texas Almanac and Immigrants' Handbook for 1885
Pocket Directory of the Eighteenth Legislature of Texas
18th Legislature, Regular Session - All Senators except District 3 and 21 are listed in Roll Call as taking the oath of office, 1/9/1883, p. 2; resolution by Sen. Gooch that the Senators shall now be divided by lot into two classes, 1/10/1883, pp. 5-6; drew term of 4 years.
. January 10, 1883
January 9, 1883
Name listed Peter Fowler; included on roster of members of the 18th Legislature as a Democrat, p. 226.
Texas Legislative Manual, 1882-83
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Biographical sketch, J.P. Fowler, pp. 78-79. Birth date 3/1/1852.
Personnel of the Texas State Government for 1885, 19th Legislature, 1885.
- Portrait and biographical sketch, John Preston Fowler, pp. 371-372. Birth date 3/11/1850, son of William and Avaline (Thompson) Fowler, mayor of Bastrop, Bastrop County Attorney.
Personnel of the Texas State Government with Sketches of Representative Men of Texas, 22nd Legislature, 1892.
- Biographical sketch, p. 4, Texas Historical Commission, [Historic Marker Application: Allen-Fowler House], 10/6/2008, crediting Texas Historical Commission. "John Preston Fowler, Jr. 'Pet' was Mayor of Bastrop (1874), Bastrop County Attorney (1873-1876 & 1880-1881), and was elected Texas State Senator (1883-1885)." Died in 1927.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Biographical sketch, John Preston Fowler, pp. 240-241. Birth date 3/11/1852. Elected to the Senate 11/7/1882 as an Independent.
Texas Legislative Manual, 1882-83, 1883.
- J.P. Fowler, Sr., birth date 3/11/1849, death date 12/8/1927, portraits, burial in Fairview Cemetery, Bastrop, Bastrop County.
Find a Grave.
- Mentioned in biographical sketch of son Wallace E. Fowler, Volume II, pp. 612-613. John P. Fowler, resident of Bastrop, born in South Carolina, represented his district in the state senate.
Historical Review of South-east Texas and the Founders, Leaders and Representative Men of Its Commerce, Industry and Civic Affairs, 1910.
- John Peter Fowler.
The Texas Senate: Volume II, Civil War to the Eve of Reform, 1861-1889, 1999.
J.P. Fowler, 19th Legislature, State Preservation Board
J.P. Fowler, 18th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.