William Gore Etheridge
Full Name: William Gore Etheridge
Date of birth: January 30, 1835
Date of death: September 16, 1922
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- "Col" William Gore Etheridge, birth date 1/30/1835 in Georgia, death date 9/16/1922 in Marlin, Falls County, Texas; appointed postmaster of Carolina, Falls County, 12/6/1866; residence in Falls County, 1880-1920. Atchison-Everett Family Trees; U.S., Appointments of U.S. Postmasters, 1832-1971.
- Wm. G. Etheridge, marriage to Ellen S. Birkes 11/13/1859 in Falls County.
Census of 1880 - W.G. Etheridge, Falls County, age 45, born circa 1835 in Georgia, farmer, living in household with Ellen.
Census of 1900 - Wm. Etheridge, Falls County, age 65, born January 1835 in Georgia, farmer, wife Ellen.
Census of 1910 - Will E. [G.] Etheridge, Lott, Falls County, age 75, born circa 1835 in Georgia, farmer, wife Sarah.
Census of 1920 - Wm. G. Etheridge, Marlin, Falls County, age 85, born circa 1835 in Georgia, widowed, daughter Lula Highes.
Texas, County Marriage Records, 1837-1865
- W.G. Etheridge (1835-1922), burial in Calvary Cemetery, Marlin, Falls County.
Find a Grave.
- "An Independent Rounded Up," The Galveston Daily News, 11/2/1884, p. 1, crediting the Abilene Library Consortium. "The opening speech was made by W.G. Etheridge, aspirant for representative of the Sixty-second district. His speech was a perfect tirade on the Democrats."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Death notice, "Death Claims W.G. Etheridge, Old Settler of Falls County," 9/20/1922, p. 12. "He served two terms as sheriff of Falls county, also holding the office of tax assessor and collector, and later representing this district in the Texas legislature." Death date Saturday, 9/16/1922.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.