James Robb Cowles
Full Name: James Robb Cowles
Date of birth: 1841
Date of death: October 23, 1895
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 13, 1885 - Jan 11, 1887
Sherman / Grayson
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, Private, Company E, 12th Virginia Infantry, enlistment date 7/22/1861 at Petersburg, Virginia, at age 19, muster out date 4/9/1865 at Appomattox Court House, Virginia. James R. Cowles, born 1842, student. U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865.
- Confederate States Army, 12th Virginia Regiment, A P Hills Corps. J.R. Cowles (1841-1895), burial in West Hill Cemetery, Sherman, Grayson County.
Find a Grave.
- James Robb Cowles, residence in Petersburg, Virginia, University of Virginia Law School, 1st session. Catalogue of the University of Virginia, 43rd Session, 1866-1867, p. 9. U.S., School Catalogs, 1765-1935.
- Death notice, Hon. J.R. Cowles, 10/24/1895, p. 2. Died 10/23/1895 in Sherman, Texas.
Austin Daily Statesman.
- Census of 1850 - James R. Cowles, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, age 9, born circa 1841 in Virginia, in household of Henry and Juliet Cowles.
Census of 1860 - James R. Cowles, Petersburg, Virginia, age 18, born circa 1842 in Virginia, in household of H.R. Cowles.
Census of 1870 - James R. Coles, Sherman, Grayson County, age 27, born circa 1843 in Virginia, lawyer.
Census of 1880 - J.R. Cowles, Sherman, Grayson County, age 38, born circa 1842 in Virginia, lawyer.
- Death notice, "Local Condensations: Tuesday, October 22, 1895," The Sunday Gazetteer (Denison, Texas), 10/27/1895, p. 1, crediting Grayson County Frontier Village. "Expressions of regret were heard to-day when it was learned the Judge J.R. Cowles of Sherman was dead."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
J.R. Cowles, 19th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.