Thomas Reuben Bonner
Full Name: Thomas Reuben Bonner
Date of birth: September 11, 1838
Date of death: August 30, 1891
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Apr 18, 1876 - Jan 14, 1879
Tyler / Smith
Aug 6, 1866 - Feb 7, 1870
Rusk / Cherokee
In 1866 Bonner had represented Cherokee County in the Texas legislature . . . [he] impressed his colleagues with his loyalty to the Democratic party."
American Legislative Leaders, 1850-1910
Roster of 11th Legislature, House of Representatives, "Texas Legislative Proceedings," 8/11/1866, p. 1.
Galveston Daily News
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- Presentation of cane to Speaker from members of the House of Representatives, 15th Legislature, 8/21/1876, pp. 992-995.
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, Colonel, William B. Ochiltree's 18th Texas Infantry. "He entered Confederate service in April 1862 as captain, Company C, of Col. William B. Ochiltree's Eighteenth Texas Infantry. He was subsequently major, lieutenant colonel, and colonel of that regiment, which served in the Trans-Mississippi Department as an element of Walker's Texas Division."
Handbook of Texas Online.
- Biographical sketch, p. 74.
Texans Who Wore the Gray, 1907.
- Thomas Reuben Bonner.
Texas Burial Sites of Civil War Notables: A Biographical and Pictorial Field Guide, 2002.
- Thomas R. Bonner, birth date 9/11/1838, death date 8/30/1891, burial in Oakwood Cemetery, Tyler, Smith County. Includes portrait, biographical sketch.
Find a Grave.
- Listed in "Smith County and Seventh Senatorial District Legislators, 1st—16th Regular Sessions, 1846-1879," The Tyler Journal, 5/29/1936, p. 67, crediting Smith County Historical Society.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.