The town of West Columbia, in west central Brazoria County, was founded as Columbia in 1826 by Josiah Hughes Bell, who laid out the town two miles west of Marion (now East Columbia). It was known as Columbia during the Texas Revolution and when it served as the capital of the Republic of Texas from September to December 1836.
Handbook of Texas Online.
Obituaries, "Death of Colonel Horace Cone," The Galveston Daily News, 10/25/1895, p. 3. Born 1821 in Virginia. "In 1850 he came to Texas, settling in Brazoria county and practicing his profession. In 1853 he was elected to the legislature from that county. During 1857 he removed to Houston and represented this district in 1859-60." Colonel Horace Cone, The San Antonio Light, 10/27/1895, p. 2. "Colonel Cone was a member of the Legislature during several sessions and occupied a high rank in the halls of legislation."
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries). Galveston Daily NewsSan Antonio Light
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.