Special sessions topics
11 special legislative session topics
56th, 1 C.S.
Topics are based on the text of the Governor's official proclamations and messages.
- Retirement of the deficit in the State Treasury existing for the present fiscal year ending August 31, 1959, by the enactment of sufficient revenue raising measures [Thu May 14, 1959]
- Appropriations for general State services authorized under existing law or Acts of the 56th Legislature, Regular Session for the biennium beginning September 1, 1959, and ending August 31, 1961, and to provide sufficient new revenue to finance such appropriations. Specifically, this call does not include the submission of appropriations or the raising of revenue for purposes not heretofore authorized by existing laws or enactments of the Regular Session of the 56th Legislature which may become effective hereafter [Thu May 14, 1959]
- Implement the provisions of Section 49a of Article III of the Texas Constitution for the purpose of placing the estimates, reports, and certifications of the State Comptroller on a cash basis as provided in House Bill 53 as passed by the House in the Regular Session of the 56th Legislature [Thu May 14, 1959]
- Provide for adequate procedures for the custody, reporting and escheat of property to which the State is entitled under present laws and amendments relating thereto [Thu May 14, 1959]
- Prohibit obstructions and to protect public rights and uses of the beaches along the Gulf of Mexico; Protect State and public rights and uses of the property and prevent further obstructions and interferences therewith [Thu Jun 11, 1959]
- Requirement of approval by the State Banking Commissioner before sale is made of majority control of any State Bank. [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
- Emergency appropriation from funds donated to the Texas Industrial Commission, and any other emergency appropriations for other State agencies [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
- Approval of the Southern Interstate Nuclear Compact [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
- Transfer of funds due from the State Highway Department to A&M College for an agricultural experiment station in Smith County [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
- Authorizing State Board of Insurance additional time to move into new quarters [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
- Any local or general bills relating to game and fish laws; courts and district attorneys; water control and improvement districts; river authorities; school districts, including creation of new districts and elections; purchase of fire fighting equipment; rural fire prevention districts; regulation of small loans, corporate sureties and marriage licenses; dependent children; search warrants and procedures relating to private residences [Fri Jun 12, 1959]
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.