Special sessions topics
5 special legislative session topics
65th, 1 C.S.
Topics are based on the text of the Governor's official proclamations and messages.
- Fund public education in Texas including: (a.) a total cost within available state revenues; (b.) a salary increase for teachers and other public school employees; (c) a decrease in the state local fund assignment, (d.) an increase in funding for equalization; and (e.) authorization of an in-depth study by the Legislature, with substantial citizen input, to address the issue of a new index for determining local fund assignment. [Fri Jul 8, 1977]
- Nursing and convalescent homes, and to the protection of elderly persons resident therein, including: (a.) strengthening licensing requirements for nursing and convalescent homes facilities; (b.) unannounced inspections of licensed facilities; (c) periodic open hearings in licensed facilities; (d.) providing for additional temporary restraining order and injunctive relief against non-complying facilities; (e.) additional economic sanctions against non-complying facilities; (f.) transfer of medical functions and quality of care to the Texas Department of Health; (g.) increase in criminal penalties for those who abuse or neglect elderly persons in licensed facilities; (h.) protective services for elderly persons and other persons who may be patients in nursing or convalescent homes. [Fri Jul 15, 1977]
- Authorizing the Governor to determine the need for a public deepwater port if a private facility is not built, the creation, administration, powers and duties of the Texas Deepwater Port Authority; preserving Texas' claim to its tidelands and coastline; and for only the purposes herein expressed and providing for repayment of said appropriation [Fri Jul 15, 1977]
- Authorizing the participation in the National Flood Insurance Program [Fri Jul 15, 1977]
- Pertaining to assets and liabilities of an abolished state agency or advisory committee pursuant to Senate Bill No. 54, Acts of the 65th Legislature, Regular Session, 1977, including: (a.) provision for the designation by the Governor of an appropriate state agency to carry out covenants contained in bonds and the proceedings authorizing such bonds outstanding on the date of abolition of any state agency and to provide payment of such bonds from the sources provided in such bonds in accordance with their terms; (b.) provision assuring holders of bonds outstanding on the date of abolition of any agency issuing such bonds of the intention of the Legislature that the payment of such bonds in accordance with the terms of such bonds not be impaired or impeded, and that such bonds remain valid and enforceable in accordance with their terms and the laws and proceedings authorizing such bonds notwithstanding abolition of the agency which issued the bonds, and (c) provision for transfer of property, and records, to the appropriate state agency designated by the Governor and provision for retention of funds by the State Treasurer or previously designated trustees, if so provided in the proceeedings authorizing such bonds, and if not so provided, then provision for transfer of such funds to the designated state agency [Fri Jul 15, 1977]
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.