Bills in the News: Gambling
Searching for bills about gambling online can be a daunting task, as a variety of different types of gambling has been addressed in legislation pending in the 82nd Legislature. Below you can find a list of the different subject terms used for gambling legislation. The broader terms, such as "Amusements, Games, Sports" will yield more results than the narrower terms, such as "EIGHT-LINERS":
There is no shortage of speculation about the expansion of gambling in Texas, and a handful of recent news stories explore whether expanded gambling is the right option for Texas:
- "Expanded gambling: Is it worth the payoff?" from the Longview News-Journal explores whether more gaming options for Texans would benefit the state.
- "Senators: 'We need' gambling expansion," from the Amarillo Globe-News explains that some lawmakers want the Texas voters to decide whether to expand gambling in the state.
- "Bill in Texas Legislature could result in luxury casino at Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie," from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram discusses pending legislation that would allow casinos at some racetracks in Texas.
- "Neighbors get plenty of Texas gambling cash," from the Austin American-Statesman looks into claims that billions of dollars are leaving the state because Texans go to neighboring states to gamble.
- Study of the Current State of Horse and Greyhound Racing in Texas and Industry Recommendations for Improvement, Texas Racing Commission, January 13, 2011.
- Report on Commercial Casino Gambling, Galveston Chamber of Commerce, January 2011.
- Demographic Survey of Texas Lottery Players 2010, Texas Lottery Commission, November 2010.
- Gambling developments in the states, 2010, National Conference of State Legislatures, May 12, 2010.
State statutes related to gaming activities, racing, and gambling can be found in the following chapters:
- Government Code, Chapter 466, State Lottery
- Occupations Code, Chapter 2001, Bingo
- Occupations Code, Chapter 2002, Charitable Raffles
- Penal Code, Chapter 47, Gambling
- Vernon's Civil Statutes, Article 179e, Texas Racing Act
Some forms of gambling are legal in Texas, and there are state agencies that oversee particular types of gambling. The Texas Lottery Commission oversees the state lottery and charitable bingo, and the Texas Racing Commission oversees horse and greyhound racetracks in Texas.
If you need assistance locating bills about gambling, please contact the Library.